We are back baby! It was so hard to be gone so long but I'm happy to say Cool Girl of The Week has come back! This week were featuring one of my good friends and fellow blogger, Kennedy Smith. Ms. Smith gave us the pleasure of introducing herself to us here, so without further ado...let the interview commence!
So you have a blog, what made you decide to go full force and create it?
Ok, so I’m about to sound like I’m so totally popular and everyone loves me. I wish that were that case, but basically after years of people telling me they found inspiration from things I would share on social media or things they saw me wearing day-to-day, I knew I had a limited time-frame before they completely lost interest. Gotta give da people what they want! The exact timing of my blog’s birth is in large part due to finals week, when I just absolutely refused to study and decided it would a better use of my time would be to create a website. We’ve all been there, right?
What would you say is the hardest part about starting your own blog?
Self-validation/ motivation. I know we all want to be a big person and act like things such as views, likes, followers, etc. don’t bother us, but they do. That first day when I launched my blog it was such a rush, but after that it kind of died down and sometimes it’s hard to feel motivated to create time-intensive posts that I really love when you have no idea if someone is even reading them. Blogging is something you totally have to do for yourself, and when other people see you being authentic that’s what will help them gravitate towards you. At least I think so. #keepingitreal J
What would you say is the most important thing young people should be paying attention to more?
Sex. This goes mostly for America. As a country that still proclaims the best way to prevent pregnancy is to remain abstinent, yet has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the developed world, we’re largely behind in sex education. Just based on talking amongst my peers, I feel like people don’t even understand that STD’s are a thing -- they’re there and they’re real and they don’t discriminate. Just because you think you’re vagina smells like a flower and only had sex with “like, idk, 4 guys?” doesn’t mean you can’t contract something.
Top ten beauty products that are vital in your daily life?
-Aerin Rose De Grasse
-Kiehls Ultra Daily Facial Cream
-Mario Badescu facial spray with aloe, herbs and rosewater
-Eyelash curler… I use a covergirl one bc it was $5
-Nars Laguna Bronzer
-Bobbi Brown shimmer brick in rose quartz
What would you say is the hardest struggle girls face right now in our world?
Unfortunately, equal opportunity. I’m not necessarily talking about equal pay, or number of female CEOs, but an equal opportunity to be able to walk down a street and not be hollered at or tapped or winked at, etc. An equal opportunity to show your nipple and people not be like da fuh. An equal opportunity to be able to pay the bill, open a door for a guy – because these should just be respect things, not gender things. I could go on.
Favorite social media app?
Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Wearing Valentino ballet flats walking my black French bulldog in central park in between meetings.
On the real – I hope to be living in the city with a career that makes me happy.
If you could do absolutely anything in the world and on top of that get paid for it, what would it be?
Be Olivia Palermo
What are some (fashion) brands/stores you would recommend to a friend?
I would sell my soul to Zara. So, Zara. Also, Pixie Market, Reformation, Nasty Gal, Asos, J. Crew.
What's something you hate and something you love about the fashion world?
- Hate: This was really hard to come up with because I like all of it, even the whole slaving away in normal clothes part! But I guess one thing that pisses me off about fashion is the lack of depth. A lot of people admired in fashion, not designers or other creatives, but more so It-girls and models, we literally don’t know anything about. We worship them and base the industry off of them for what? Their face? Because they wore like boyfriend jeans and a t-shirt and looked really cool and skinny? Like, yea, I love them too. Don’t get me wrong. But when you think about it, that’s annoying.
- Love: Pace. The fashion industry is arguably one of the most bustling businesses in the world – everything is constantly one step ahead what it seems to be. When spring 2016 is out, Fall 2017 is in the works. This leads the people involved in the industry to be some of the most hard working, and diligent (let alone creative-minded) people the business world has to offer.
How do you feel about the term “cool girl?”
I guess I’ll just explain what it means in my eyes. I think a cool girl is someone who is original and authentic and confident.
What are the top 5 items every girl should have in her closet?
- A slip dress
- White t-shirt
- Black skirt
- White sneakers
- Espadrille wedges
- Faux fur fluffy jacket
Who is your dream man?
Who is your dream woman?
Favorite creative outlet?
Who would you say is an icon in your eyes?
-THIS OR THAT-
- Heels or Flats? Flats
- Leather or Denim? Denim
- North America or Europe?Europe
- On Water or On Land? On water
- Movie or Book? Movie
- Night in or Night out? Night in
- American boys or English boys English boys
- Vintage or Runway? Runway
- Hot or Cold? Cold
- Vegan or Omnivore? Vegan
- Eyes or Lips? Eyes
And lastly, your fashion secret?
Don’t ever take anyone else’s advice. Or do the opposite of what they say. Style is personal and should be a risk
Much thanks to Kennedy for this lovely interview! Until next time my friends...